I’m putting the finishing touches on Operator 0.6. Here’s what you can expect (update in bold):
- Performance Improvements – I’ve done a few things here. The main thing is that I was going through the document’s DOM one time for each microformat. I’ve reduced that to one time for all microformats. I’ve also modified it so that I don’t build any menus until the icons are actually clicked. In addition, I removed the code that did a reverse lookup on geos to get the address. This was causing a MAJOR performance problem on pages with geo tags. I think this is a deficiency in the geo spec – I wish they had a way to specify a name for the geo on the geo tag.
- User Interface – I’ve added both a toolbar button and a status bar icon that contain all the Operator functionality.
- Handlers – I’ve made it so that handlers can indicate that they require data in a microformat. If that data is not there, the handler won’t appear. In addition I’ve added basic support for 30 Boxes. If any 30 Boxes developers are out there, please feel free to contact me so we can discuss why I can’t make 30 Boxes work as good as Yahoo or Google Calendar. I’ve also added support for Yedda.
- Microformats – I’ve added support for hResume.
- Debug – I’ve modified the debug dialogs so that they now display in a readonly text area that can be copied to the clipboard. They are also formatted better.
- Tags – I’m improving the parsing to be more compliant with the spec for valid/invalid tags.
- Browsers – I’ve made it so the extension will work on Flock (and I’ve done some basic testing there
I’m targeting January 3rd for this release, assuming I can get performance where I want it.