Let’s try this again without the migration bug…
Here’s what’s new in this release:
- Performance Improvements – I’ve done a few things here. The main thing is that I was going through the document’s DOM one time for each microformat. I’ve reduced that to one time for all microformats, and I also cache the list of microformats as best I can (there’s more work to be done here. I’ve also modified it so that I don’t build any menus until the icons are actually clicked. In addition, I removed the code tehat did a reverse lookup on geos to get the address. This was causing a MAJOR performance problem on pages with geo tags. I think this is a deficiency in the geo spec – I wish they had a way to specify a name for the geo on the geo tag.
- User Interface – I’ve added both a toolbar button and a status bar icon that contain all the Operator functionality.
- Handlers – I’ve made it so that handlers can indicate that they require data in a microformat. If that data is not there, the handler won’t appear. In addition I’ve added basic support for 30 Boxes. If any 30 Boxes developers are out there, please feel free to contact me so we can discuss why I can’t make 30 Boxes work as good as Yahoo or Google Calendar. I’ve also added support for Yedda.
- Microformats – I’ve added support for hResume. It’s not there by default, so if you want to see it, you’ll have to add it using the Microformats tab in Options.
- Debug – I’ve modified the debug dialogs so that they now display in a readonly text area that can be copied to the clipboard. They are also formatted better.
- Tags – I’ve improved the parsing to be more compliant with the spec for valid/invalid tags. You’ll notice the tags on my blog don’t display because they are invalid. (Thanks blogger!)
- Browsers – I’ve verified that Operator works on Flock and modified the install.rdf to support Flock
- hCard – I’ve added support for the “hCard reference via object.”
I hope this version addresses some of the concerns people had about the Operator UI as well as performance. Please give me any feedback you have!
FYI, for the next release I’ll be working on:
- Script management
- Missing elements in certain microformats
- Customizing how URLs are opened
- Ability to save vcards and icals, not just export them