Operator 0.7a is available

Operator 0.7a is available. This is an alpha release. Really.

You probably won’t notice anything obvious that has changed, but under the covers, things are very different. Here’s a list of some of the changes:

  • Complete rewrite of parser and actions system
  • Experimental support for species and XFN (These probably won’t be in the official release)
  • More complete support for hCard and hCalendar
  • Exporting a contact or event now gives you the option to save it to disk
  • You can choose to not remove duplicate microformats
  • Various bug fixes
  • Ability to drop in Brian Suda’s X2V transforms to compare results (More info on that later)
  • REMOVED: Ability to have default handlers for a given microformats

The new actions system is in flux right now, so I’m not giving any detail on how to write to it yet. Old handlers will still work, so if you have those, just drop them in.

If you find bugs, please report them as comments to this post.

As per my social contract, all code has been run through JSLint and migration from three versions of Operator have been tested.

Enjoy.

Please note: I reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive or off-topic.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

22 thoughts on “Operator 0.7a is available

  1. FWIW, Operator 0.7a doesn’t work with trunk builds:

    Error: Node cannot be used in a document other than the one in which it was created = NS_ERROR_DOM_WRONG_DOCUMENT_ERR
    Source file: chrome://operator/content/ufjs/ufJS.js
    Line: 70

    which is:
    var xpathResult = document.evaluate(xpathExpression, rootElement, null, 0, null);

    0.6.2 worked okay with trunk builds.

  2. I have installed this on FF2.0.0.2. But since it involves parsing of content, switching tabs sometimes very slow…Especially on WordPress blog where there are too many tabs. Can’t we have something like caching or limiting parsing to a smaller number of tags ?

  3. jigar:

    Actually, it’s not the parsing that was causing the slowdown, it’s the XUL. I’ve fixed this in my build and it will be in 0.7. Displaying a page with 500+ microformats went from 18 seconds down to less than 2

  4. Hi, i can’t get Operator .6.x or .7.x to work on html pages(tested geo and rel tag). Do Operator find microsummaries on html pages or is it a xhtml-thingy only? Does the parsing of content work with unvalidated html?

    Tested to put this on my site:
    tech

  5. Hehe, stupid me. When the rel-tag at anchors didnt work i added the rel-tag to the div just to test and forgot to remove ’em. Thank you very much for the help.

    But should one wrongly placed microformat-tag break all the others?

  6. jigar:

    Things are much better with my new build.

    And actually, removing duplicate entries makes things much worse.

    On your page, you have 330 tags. If I remove the true duplicates (that is, not just the text duplicates, but the actual tag, including the URL) that takes it down to 273. (and affects page load performance a bit)

    I’ve been pondering removing duplicate tag names (not just duplicate tags), but I believe it will actually make the problem worse…

  7. The new version seems to be missing hReview as an item in the tool bar. It still shows up in the options as one of the microformats, but is no longer in the toolbar.

  8. Please hold off on support for the species microformat in the official release. It still has some fundamental problems that need to be resolved before widespread use. Thanks.