My primary goal with Operator 0.8a was to attempt to finalize APIs for both Operator and Firefox 3. What I actually ended up with is very similar to the APIs I created with the very first version of Operator. You can see the microformats API for Firefox 3 here (looking for feedback). I’ll be documenting the action and microformats API more completely in the next few days.
New features in this release include:
- RDFa support (view only – there are no actions yet)
- Unified actions architecture – actions are no longer specific to a microformat
- Support for Address microformat to allow some actions (like map lookups) to be more granular.
- Better support for iframes/frames/nested documents
- Debug mode uses X2V for hCards and hCalendars
- Support for non HTML documents
- Bug fixes galore.
One feature I removed that I know people will complain about is the ability to have custom names for the actions. If I get enough complaints, I’ll put this back.
IMPORTANT NOTE: This release uses new preferences so it will wipe out your old prefs. This should be the last time that happens. I also changed the location of user scripts so it won’t pick up your old ones (they won’t work anyway).
If you want new user scripts, check out: http://www.kaply.com/weblog/operator-user-scripts/
If you have user scripts you want to quickly port to Operator 0.8, please send them to me and I’ll help.
Please report bugs here.