I know I’ve been slacking on posting information on how to create actions for Operator 0.8. I’ve been tweaking the API a little bit, so that’s why I’ve been hesitant. Operator 0.8 beta will be very soon, and then I’ll post a tutorial on creating actions.
In the mean time, I have been working with a few folks to get their actions working on Operator 0.8.
- The Minimap Addon gives you a suite of built-in maps and mapping tools for your web browser. And it also supports integration with Operator.
- Egon Willighagen is using RDFa combined with an Operator action to allow for searching PubChem from the Chemical Blogspace. More information is available in his post.
- Søren Johannessen has updated his actions for the Danish Blogosphere for Operator 0.8. You can read about them and download them at microformats.dk.
- Pelle Wessman has updated his actions for the Swedish Blogosphere for Operator 0.8. You can read about them and download them at http://pelle.vox.nu/.
- Charl van Niekerk has created actions for the African Blogosphere for Operator 0.8. You can read about them and download them at http://blog.charlvn.za.net/.
And I’ve been adding/updating some of my user scripts. These include support for the license microformat, as well as some improvements to species.
Incidentally, the improvements to the action API will NOT break actions already written for Operator 0.8. The improvements include the ability to translate your actions into other languages, the ability to customize the name that appears for your action in the Operator dropdowns and the ability to have multiple items in the action menu for something that appears multiple times in a microformat. For instance, in the past, even if an hCard had multiple web pages, there was only one action that opened the first web page. Now an action can detect the multiple web pages and display unique action names for each of them.