SIMILE Actions for Operator

So far, actions for Operator have focused on exporting data or connecting to an existing web service. Rosie Morales from MITRE has shown that actions can do much more interesting things, like actually create new views of the microformats by saving the data to a local file and displaying it. These actions are based on the Simile project.

Note these actions only work properly with Operator 0.8b.

The Simile Timeline action is an action that acts on all events on a web page. It creates a local file that contains a Simile Timeline representation of the data and then displays it.

The Exhibit Timeline action is an action that acts on all events on a web page. It creates a local file that contains a Exhibit Timeline representation of the data and then displays it.

The Exhibit action is an action that acts on all contacts on a web page or one contact on a web page. It creates a local file that contains a Exhibit representation of the data and then displays it.

I will be documenting how you can create an action that acts on all instances of a given microformat very soon.

Please note: I reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive or off-topic.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

7 thoughts on “SIMILE Actions for Operator

  1. This is way hot, and a great example of the “faceted browsing” use case that Alex has long-positied would be the thing that makes uFormats incredibly useful.

    From a quick read-through, the JS seems to reach out across the network to send data to and fetch the rendered timeline from a web service offered by MITRE. Is there any way to locally cache that functionality (which is probably fairly static) to reduce bandwidth and potentially improve speed?

  2. I have fixed the problem with the timeline script.
    The JSON file for the timeline was not being parsed correctly.

  3. Hi again

    None of the timeline scripts works yet – I have testet hCalendar page
    http://mangospot.dk/Steder/156/FatterEskil.aspx and http://www.microformats.dk/2007/07/03/næsten-midt-i-en-jazztid/

    However the Exhibit action works but the special danish charcters æ,ø,å Æ,Ø,Å does not show up correct
    see screendump http://www.microformats.dk/teknik/hcard/testscript.jpg
    I have look at the JSON output fx “address: ” Nytorv 3 K?benhavn K 1450 “,

    but following way must be the correct way to do it
    “address: ” Nytorv 3 K\u00F8benhavn K 1450 “,

    so the ø in København shows up correctly?

    hope you understood my description above

  4. Søren,

    The errors are in the function timelineData(semanticObject, semanticObjectType). The last record is the JSON file does have all of the properties for an event.

    The original for loop

    for (var i in hcalendars1)

    is executing one too many times so the JSON data file does not build correctly.

    I made two changes to the timelineData function.

    The first on is the for loop, which should look like this:

    for (var i in hcalendars-1) {

    and the second is for the variable event at the end of the function, before the
    if statement used to add the last comma to the JSON file.
    I added an if statement to prevent adding a null vevent.

    if (event.length > 0)
    { events += event + dtEnd + title + description + link + color + “}” + “\r\n”;
    zones += zone ;
    zones2 += zone2 ;}

    I’ll check the problems with the special characters.

    Thanks for help, and yes I understand your description.