New version with fix for search engines not working.
If you are deploying Firefox in your enterprise, educational institution, or even your household, you’ll want to check out the CCK Wizard (info at that link is a little dated right now).The CCK Wizard is an implementation of the old Netscape CCK that allows you to customize various aspects of Firefox and then contain all of those customizations in a single Firefox extension. Here are some of the things you can do
- Add an identifier to the user agent string
- Change the default home page and startup override home page
- Change the title bar text
- Change the animated logo
- Add a web page and tooltip used for the animated logo
- Add a help menu item that links to a web page
- Provide sites for which popups and XPInstalls are allowed by default
- Preinstall browser plug-ins
- Preinstall search engines
- Change the default search engine
- Add folders, bookmarks and live bookmarks to the personal toolbar
- Add folders, bookmarks and live bookmarks to the bookmarks folder
- Set default preferences
- Lock preferences
- Add registry keys (Windows only)
- Add certificates (See NOTE below)
- Set default proxy configurations
- Package other XPIs with your distribution
- Disable about:config
Note that if you customize Firefox using the CCK Wizard, there are certain restrictions on redistribution outside of your organization, especially if you add certificates. Read the Mozilla Foundation Trademark policies for more info, or contact email@example.com.
And please let me know if you find any bugs.