This post will provide a high level overview of changes coming up in the next Firefox ESR. This list is primarily focused on changes that will impact enterprise users. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list. For a list of all the changes, see the release notes links.
Note: Firefox Hello and Encrypted Media Extensions will NOT be part of the ESR.
- New HTTP Cache
- Support for public key pinning
- Changes to main context menu
- Release Notes (32.0, 32.0.1, 32.0.2, 32.0.3)
- New search UI (US only)
- Firefox Hello
- Theme Switching in Customize mode
- Ability to close Firefox when presented with “Firefox is already running” dialog
- Release Notes (34.0, 34.0.5)
- Preferences in tabs
- Release Notes (38.0)
My plan is to have a new CCK2 beta that coincides with the Firefox 38 release that will allow for disabling some of these new features. It’s a beta because it also has the new code for no longer using the distribution directory.
If I missed something, please post it in the comments.